To be a great basketball player, you need good handles. This guide will teach you how to get better handles in basketball. You’ll learn some simple exercises and techniques that will help you improve your ball-handling skills in no time!
We will also provide a few examples of exercises that you can do on your own to improve your coordination and dribbling skills. So, if you want to take your game to the next level, let’s get started!
What Are Handles In Basketball?
In basketball, handles refer to a player’s ability to control the ball while dribbling. A player with good handles will be able to keep the ball close to their body, protecting it from defenders while still being able to make sudden changes of direction.
This can give them a considerable advantage on the court, allowing them to create space for themselves or their teammates. While some players are born with natural ball-handling skills, others must work hard to develop this part of their game.
Either way, having good handles is essential for any player who wants to succeed in basketball. Now let’s see how to get better handles in basketball.
How To Get Better Handles In Basketball?
Are you curious about how to get better handles in basketball? If you are, then you have come to the right place. This guide will provide you with all the information you need to know to take your game to the next level.
First and foremost, it is crucial to understand that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for getting better handles in basketball. What works for one player may not work for another.
It is essential to experiment with different techniques and find what works best for you. Let’s look at a few general tips that will help you improve your handles in no time! Some of the most important things to keep in mind when trying to improve your handles are:
- keeping the ball close to your body
- Use your fingers, not your palm, to control the ball
- Use your non-dribbling hand to protect the ball
- changing directions quickly and smoothly
By following these guidelines, you will be well on your way to becoming a better ball-handler. In addition to these general tips, there are also a few specific exercises that you can do to improve your handles.
What Specific Exercises Can Make Your Handing Better?
Yes, you can indeed improve your basketball handling skills through specific exercises. For example, try dribbling the ball in different patterns around your body. This will help you get comfortable with controlling the ball in different situations.
You can also try dribbling with one hand while walking or jogging. This will help you build up your endurance and improve your coordination. Another great exercise is to dribble the ball as fast as possible while keeping it under control.
This will help you develop better handles, but it will also increase your speed and agility on the court. All these exercises will help you develop better handles in basketball.
However, it is essential to remember that there is no magic solution. The best way to improve your handles is to practice as much as possible.
Step By Step Guide On How To Get Better Handles In Basketball
- Grip the ball with your fingers, not your palm: gripping the ball with your fingers will give you more control.
- Keep the ball close to your body: this will protect the ball from defenders and help you change directions quickly.
- Point your thumb towards the ground: this will help keep the ball under control.
- Use your non-dribbling hand to protect the ball: this will help keep the ball from being stolen.
- Change directions quickly and smoothly: this will help you create space for yourself or your teammates.
- Use your non-dominant hand to practice as well (you’ll be surprised at how much better you’ll get)
- Shoot hoops in a variety of locations – outdoors, indoors, in a park, etc. – to improve your skills
- Keep your arm close to your body for stability: this will help you maintain control of the ball.
- Practice as much as possible: the more you practice, the better your handles will become
By following these steps, you will be well on your way to becoming a better ball-handler. Remember, there is no magic solution. The best way to improve your handles is to practice as much as possible. So, get out there and start practicing!
Best Tips To Get Better Handles In Basketball
Many players focus on their jump shots and forget about their handles. Your handles are what separate the best players from the rest. Imagine trying to dribble around a defender who has sticky hands. It would be complicated to make a move and get by them.
Therefore, it is crucial to have good handles. Here are a few tips to help you improve your handles:
- Use both hands – Don’t just use your dominant hand when dribbling. Use your non-dominant hand as well. This will make it harder for defenders to guess which way you are going.
- Use your body – When you are dribbling, use your whole body, not just your arms. This will give you more power and control over the ball.
- Change speeds – don’t just go at one speed when dribbling. Change speeds and direction often. This will keep defenders guessing and off-balance.
- Practice, practice, practice – The only way to get better at anything is to practice. The same goes for dribbling. Go to the park or gym and work on your handles every day. The more you practice, the better you will become.
Final Words: How To Get Better Handles In Basketball!
Now you know all about how to get better handles in basketball! Practice makes perfect, so start working on your ball-handling skills today, and you’ll be dunking like a pro in no time.
When you have those basics down, start experimenting with different moves and see what works best for you. And do look at how many points is a layup in basketball, dribble between the legs, and tips to become a better basketball player!